Saturday, March 21, 2009

Cell Phone Rant


So I'm having a bit of a dilemma. Currently, my cell phone provider is Verizon Wireless. I think VZW is an overpriced and sometimes evil corporation. However, their service is second to none. For the most part, with the exception of my parents' house in NJ, I get a strong signal wherever I go. As of now, I am sporting the Samsung UCH- 740 (Verizon calls it the "Alias"), which for the most part, has been an outstanding phone. I've had the phone for almost two years, and I feel like it is time for a change. In about three weeks, I will be eligible for a new phone. Enter the dilemma...

I want my next phone to be more of a multimedia device. I don't want Windows Mobile OS. I ran it about two years ago and all I can say is that it sucked. It would always freeze up and was never fluid in transitioning between applications. I am a big fan of the LG Dare, but as of now, Verizon is selling it for $179 again, which in my opinion is too expensive for that phone. What I really want is the Apple iPhone.

My previous article listed my thoughts and feelings on the iPod Touch, which for all intensive purposes is an iPhone minus the phone. The iPhone is the sh*t. Nothing out there seems to be able to touch it. Many phones immitate, but few come close to replicating the extensive features and performance of the iPhone.

The problem is, if I want the iPhone, as of today, I would have to switch over to AT&T. Not only that, but I would need to purchase the monthly voice and data plan which starts out at $69/month. Quite frankly, that's a little pricey for me. But I do see the value in it and would consider switcing. The main thing holding me back, besides the price, is the fact that my family, girlfriend, and most of my friends are all on VZW. If I switched to AT&T, not only would I eat up minutes everytime I spoke with them, but so would they.

In the end, I probably will end up staying with VZW (even though I don't want to). My hope is that someday the iPhone will be offered on Verizon. There have been some recent lawsuits against Apple, claiming that their exclusive dealings contract with AT&T is monopolistic, and therefore illegal. So far, to my knowledge, none of those suits have been successful. But maybe someday, preferably soon, Apple will be forced to sell their phone on all networks, and thus make many Verizon Wireless customers just a little bit happier.

On a sidenote, AT&T will soon begin allowing customers to buy the iPhone, contract-free. (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10200602-37.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0) However, there's a huge catch. The prices of the iPhone will be $599 and $699. You will still need at least the $69/month plan, but if you cancel, you won't be charged the termination fee. Quite frankly, I don't see why anyone would go for this just off the fact that they want 600 bucks for the iPhone.

As always, let me know whaty you think. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment